As I mention a few times before here, I love drawing but because I did not go to art school, I had no idea where to start. I spend a lot of years in denial and other years telling myself I draw bad and I should learn more. I will add below a list of tools that helped me and some suggestions I have.
- After all this time, I found the perfect youtube video. I am following the advice mentioned there and now I am obsessed with drawing bull skulls, in a more tattoo style. I think it is really useful to start small, with a rock, a tree and read and learn about them, daily. I learned how to draw trees last week and also learned more about shadows. The video will be posted below.
- Another great resource is http://www.drawabox.com . I love them and that community helped me a lot to practice and teach my hand how to move and make marks on the paper. The videos can also help you understand and manage your inner critic.
- Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon – amazing, short book. I was at first skeptical when I read the word ’steal’ but I found the book and the advice quite refreshing. There are some things there that I started to notice and it felt good to have a confirmation.The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron – perfect to handle inner critic.
- Google everything. I love to do this and learn so much every day. This is also a piece of advice from the book.
- I try to draw daily but put less pressure on myself. I can just sketch a skull fast, at work, on a break.
- Try to learn some graphic design basics in order to understand layouts. I am following this playlist on youtube. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYfCBK8IplO4E2sXtdKMVpKJZRBEoMvpn
This is where I am now. I am still learning and I am still getting obsessed over subjects. I think this is my calling and I just want to draw and be happy.