When I heard this legend, I fell in love with it instantly. I decided to make 1.000 cranes and give the wish to my husband, as a birthday gift. Usually, you have one year to make them but I had only about 5 months. It was an amazing journey, for me it was a self discovery process, finding myself as an artist and as a person. When I was making my last 30 cranes, I took a piece of paper and wrote the 15 lessons I learned while making them.
- If you want something, you have to work for it.
- My opinions are important and I should stand by them.
- I am enough but I want to learn more about myself, grow and evolve as a woman.
- I married a wonderful man, a partner, a soulmate.
- I found my drawing style and I also found my mentor.
- I found my passion for helping people achieve their dream, so I joined an online community.
- Found my blog niche.
- I realized how much I loved to write and how important my blog is for me.
- I started a Finance Class, realized I am good at my job and that I like it a lot.
- I learned that, when I was mad at work, I was mad at myself because sometimes I don’t look at details and make small mistakes.
- I can achieve whatever I want because I am really happy to put in the work for my dreams.
- I managed to let go to everything I knew about spirituality and started to be happy.
- I learned that growing old is ok , I am wearing my age with pride and modesty (This is a big one for me, especially because I will turn 30 this year)
- I started fasting and I am working on my dream body (I want leather pants!)
- I realized that I respect my cranes. After making 1.000 of them, I can see their elegance and grace, their magic. I think it is a respect for the cranes and also for my work.
It was a life changing journey for me, some things were changes in my mindset and feelings, some were changes in the way I see the world. I would recommend this to anyone that wants to evolve as a person and as an artist.
I feel the need to mention that you don’t need to have a lot of money to do this, I made them with sticky notes, the sticky part was quite helpful for me.
You can read the legend here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_thousand_origami_cranes . I hope this will inspire you to take a leap of faith and start your own journey.